- Items are checked out of the Information Commons using your ID card, which has a Guttman Community College Information Commons barcode on the back.
- Never lend your ID card to another person, since you are responsible for all usage made on the card.
- Students, faculty and staff may borrow library materials.
- Your library ID must be activated before you can check out a book.
The Commons purchases many of the books used in the classroom. Check with the IC to see if your textbook is available.These books cannot be removed from the library and must be used in the IC.
Books may be checked out for three weeks. Faculty and staff have longer periods. Reserve and Reference materials cannot be checked out and must be used in the library.
- Books can be renewed up to three times--either in person or online.
- A book cannot be renewed:
- If the book has been placed on hold or recalled by another library customer
- If there is a block on your library record
- DVDs do not circulate, as a rule. They are for the staff and faculty to use in the classroom. However, DVDs may be checked out and used in the IC for up to 2 hours.
- Journals, magazines and newspapers do not circulate, but are used in the IC.
- Items may be placed on on-site reserve by instructors. These items include books, articles and personal copies. Items on reserve are available as a 2-hour Reserve loan. Some Reserve loans may be checked out for a 3-day period.
- Books may be renewed online:
- All IC circulating material (that is not overdue) may be renewed online.
- Open your browser and go to the IC website
- Click on Catalog.
- Click on My Account / Renew (top-right of page).
- Enter your 14 digit library barcode (beginning with 2) in the textbox marked Barcode. (Do not enter spaces or dashes.)
- As your Password, enter your 14 digital library barcode again. (NOTE: Your library barcode will remain your password unless you change it.)
- Then click on Log In.
- If you have never used the Guttman Information Commons, please go to the Circulation Desk and ask to have your patron record activated before attempting to log-on.
- When you are in your patron record, you may renew charged out material:
- Click on the underlined number to the right of Loans.
- Find the item(s) you wish to renew and check the appropriate box (es).
- From the orange menu at the top, choose Renew Selected.
- If your renewal is successful, the list of renewed books will display.
When you are finished looking at your record, click on End Session or Logout.
Holds and Recalls
- Holds can be placed on books that are charged out of the Library.
- If you locate the book you wish to borrow in the library catalog but find that it is charged out to another patron, you may place a "hold" on that item:
- Click on the Request this Copy button.
- Enter your 14 digit barcode number that is on the back of your valid ID card. (Do not include spaces or dashes.)
- Enter your password. If you have not created a password, enter your 14 digit barcode number again.
- Make sure that "Guttman Community College" is selected as the pickup library. (Unless, of course, you wish to pick up the book from a different CUNY Library.)
- If you don't need the book after a certain date, enter that date in the format YYYYMMDD in Period of Interest field. (In most cases, you want to leave this field as-is.)
- Click on Go.
- A message will come up letting you know whether the hold request was successful.
- Recalled material must be returned to the Library.
- If the book is recalled, it cannot be renewed and must be returned on the due date to the Circulation Desk.
Lost or Damaged Materials
- A reasonable time is allowed for Library staff to search for a book reported to be lost.
- Material that is returned damaged may be subject to a fine or replacement charge.
- Items returned late incur late fines.